Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Beginnings

The holidays are over and I feel like I can take a deep sigh of relief. The stress of shopping and presents and events to go to is over and I can finally settle back into the routine of every day life. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends!
2010 was a year of extreme growth for me. I made a point of actively sorting and sifting through a lot of really difficult issues. I quit smoking and started running. I traveled to places I have never been and also went back to a place I consider to be my home away from home. I have ventured into the world of being a couple and have learned so much already about what being in a relationship really means. I was able to survive my first bout of nursing burn out and have experienced so much as an ICU nurse.
I've never been a big fan of resolutions. I feel like they end up being too ambiguous, obnoxiously specific or completely idealistic, so I like to choose themes for the year... a word that will be the foundation for the next 365 days. I have decided that for this upcoming year... 2011 will be defined by the word peace. I think over the next few days I will have to decide what that looks like for me. I think it will have a lot to do with having balance in my relationships, work, and mental, emotional and physical health... having a contentment that runs deeper than my circumstances and a sort of "come what may" attitude towards life. I'm excited to see what 2011 brings.
 Happy New Year Friends!
What resolutions have you made for yourself this year?
What would your 2011 word be?

4 comments :

  1. Happy new year Andi! T and I have decided 2011 is the year of money. Pay off debt finally and then save save save. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ther honey & a Happy New Year to you... Interesting that choose a theme' mantra so-to-speak, because the word that I believe was chosen for me is 'Joy' So much of 2010 lacked joy...so much has been stolen, taken & lost in 2010...and not that you can't have joy in the midst of adversity & lose, I just found that it was a tremendous struggle for me to maintain it, relish in it...receive it. I guess, I allowed my 'joy' to be taken....so, I'm encouraged by your words and understand the significance of what you desire for the New Year....love you and praying for 'peace' for my dearest friend in this whole wide world...Aimz

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree, its time to take a breather and get back into a routine... the holidays are so fabulous but also crazy for me! 2010 has been quite a year! looking foward to a new year, a new beginning!

    {on a side note, i wrote a coworker up for the first time EVER in my 4 years last night! kinda scary, but goodness, she deserved it, throwing a temper tantrum right at the nursing station, even throwing something across the counter!i have never seen anything like it! have you ever wrote a coworker up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness that is crazy! I have not officially written a co-worker up but I did send a very detailed complaint email to my manager once about a resident who literally yelled at me for going above her when she was refusing to do something for my patient who had a blood pressure of 70/40.
    I'm so sorry you had to do that! That must have been an awful shift. Hopefully today will be better! :(

    ReplyDelete