Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Peace, Balance, Contentment

I am reflecting today on my new years theme: Peace.
Such a broad term... really in many ways I see it as being balanced and content.
The holidays are always difficult for me because my family is in many ways disconnected. The busy schedules and massive amounts of baked goods and fattening foods do so much more damage to my health than they are worth. I thought this year would be different too... "I'm training for a marathon!" I thought to myself.... how in the world can someone train for a marathon and gain weight over the holidays, right?! Well my friends... if any girl was gonna make it possible... it would be me. I have gained back almost half of the weight I have lost since I started running last May. 

Bummer.

Not only that but I was somewhat lax on my running schedule during December... still continuing my weekend long runs but skimping on my shorter weekly runs... and I think it was hurting me more than I realized.
I noticed my stress level increasing... I also noticed my cravings to want to smoke come back with a vengeance... and I have been tired and run down. It wasn't good and so I decided I must do something about it! Time to get back into a routine...

Peace.... that is my goal.... contentment and balance. I need to remember to schedule in time to run because I am such a happier person when I do... to schedule in time to eat healthy because it makes me feel better and to schedule in time for me because I need that space to refresh and regain the energy that is lost through the day. My life feels so hectic sometimes... my job is stressful and sometimes I feel like I just can't be needed by anyone else or I'll implode!

So... the other day I decided that it has been way too long since I have taken pictures... my creative side was dying inside and my right brain was beginning to atrophy. I needed to just stop what I was doing and make time for me... to breathe and go step into that life of balance... even if it meant sacrificing my run for the day and taking my camera out onto the trails for some good ol' Andi time.

It was wonderful and refreshing and it made me realize that I am just one of those people who needs.... I mean desperately needs alone time.  I hope it will be the beginning of a very healthy, balanced and peaceful year. Do you ever feel that way? Like you just have to stop the world's noise for a moment long enough to hear your own voice?
Well that's where I've been recently and I am vowing to be more intentional about taking care of myself better... emotionally, mentally and physically.
What kind of things do you do to take care of yourself? How do you find peace in your life?
Here's to having a year full of many more quiet moments where my voice is louder than the rest of the world's.... moments full of peace, balance and contentment. :)

3 comments :

  1. do you think it's our job that makes us yearn for peace...and quiet... and alone time. b/c i am right there with you. i HAVE to have those in my life to be able to function. My days off, i enjoy me time SO much.

    beautiful pics! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... I know I may be an extrovert but I feel like I walk the line because of how much alone time I feel like I actually need. That being said you can still go running here in Ireland too if you really want to.. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! just left you a little bloggy award on my last post! check it out when you can! happy thursday!

    ReplyDelete