Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Meet "The Girls"

In a few hours I will be heading to one of my favorite places in the entire world; the lovely state of Colorado. It's my home away from home, and although it is a beautiful place in and of itself, the reason I go is not to view the wonderful and majestic Rockies...although that is a definite plus! The reasons I go are because of "my girls."
This is my best friend Ami and two of her daughters, Thea and Petra. I met Ami back in 2003 when I was doing missionary work in South Africa. That was before she got married and now she has three kids!
For those that know me well, when I say, "I miss my girls," they know I am talking about Thea, Petra and Ivy. Most of the time I call them my god-daughters...just because its hard to explain just how important they are to me. "My best friends' kids" just doesn't quite cut it.
This is Petra and I, this past Jan. when I came to visit. I love this kid because she just absolutely cracks me up and melts my heart at the same time. She is so petite and tiny and yet is probably one of the most self assured, feisty little girls I know. She has no problem lettin' you know what's on her mind and still at the same time will be the best little cuddle bug anyone could ask for.
I love this picture of Thea, she's the oldest... just turned 6 on June 30th. She's incredibly intuitive and thoughtful and she feels so deeply that sometimes she is just a ball of emotions. She is truly one of a kind and I always remember as a baby she was and still is, so observant. Nothing gets passed this one.

This is Ivy... the baby of the bunch and actually she has gotten much bigger since I last saw her. These pictures were taken last summer and I can't believe how fast she is growing up! Ivy, like the other women in her family (and her father too) is a force to reckon with. Has a smile and a laugh that will light up a room, but make her mad? ...Well, can't say I didn't warn you. :)


This is Ami with her husband Andrew. Hands down, two of the most persevering, loving, gracious, caring and wonderful people I know. If it weren't for these guys I would most likely not be a nurse today and really it is an understatement to say that I consider them family....to me...they are my family.
Andrew is truly like the best, big brother I never had... and Ami...well she deserves a whole separate post, but all I will say is that she is an incredible woman and I am so lucky to have her as my best friend.
So in exactly 8 hours, I will be on a plane, heading towards a wonderful 4 day visit with these guys and I cannot wait.
I can't wait to see my girls and give them a big hug and hang out with them at home and read stories and play and just chill.
I'm excited to catch up with Ami and Andrew because life has just been too busy to do that recently...being states away and all....
but most of all I'm just excited to go "home." I've been in a strange funk recently... feeling really out of place with everything in my life and I can't think of a better way to get rooted again than to have a visit with family. :)
And when I get back I'll (hopefully) have a ton of great pictures and funny little kid stories to share!
Happy Thursday Everyone! :)

2 comments :

  1. Have a great trip!! Enjoy the time with your cute little friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you honey! what a blessing to have read this; what a blessing to love you, and be loved in return in such a precious, beautiful way! we miss you, miss you, miss you. And wherever we are, you always have a home here with us. God bless you our beautiful Vandigirl.

    ReplyDelete