Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lesson Learned and Happy 4th!




The 4th of July is one of those holidays that tends to be last on people's list of favorites. It definitely is not one I have ever made a point of asking off of work for. I think though, 4th of July is actually creeping up to the top of my list.



See, most holidays revolve around family and family is something I don't have a whole lot of. I have my mom (who is actually my aunt that adopted me years ago) and I have my grandparents and my little sister, but unfortunately none of us talk very often... it's complicated and sadly, very dysfunctional.



Needless to say, every holiday season has ended up in some huge dramatic fiasco and so for the most part I prefer to work Christmas and Thanksgiving. Mainly because all of my friends (the people I'd much rather spend the holidays with) are off with their families while I am either A) sitting at home, alone and feeling like an orphan or B) am at work because everyone else has families to be with and wants those days off. Both are kind of lame options.



Well, that is why I am starting to favor 4th of July more and more every year. It's not such a serious holiday that everyone has to be with their families and its just fun to find a good place to BBQ or picnic and go watch some beautiful fireworks. Last year, I lived in a place that had the BEST fireworks ever. In fact all of these pictures were taken at last years show on the 4th, right down the street from my house. I will miss being walking distance to them... that's for sure.


So, all that to say that from now on I think I am going to request 4th of July off. This year I will be at work. yuck
At least I'll be on the 3rd floor and will hopefully get a good view of some of the shows in the area... and if not... well there is always next year. :)
Happy 4th of July everyone!

1 comment :

  1. Awwww! I think that's the sweetest post ever. I also love the 4th and remember feeling that way during my residency with the other holidays. I always worked because I had no family there (in Cleveland where I was training.) I am all for creating your own traditions. Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete