Sunday, August 1, 2010

A few things...

Can I just say that I really miss Colorado?
This is me and little Ivy having fun with Photobooth. Photos and posts about that trip soon to come.

On a happier note from the ICU front... the week has been difficult but I'm trying to stay positive... and I've been trying to make a conscious effort to overcome my feeling of burn out (despite the fact that the work hasn't gotten any easier)... and even though I feel just as exhausted and overwhelmed... something paid off.

Last night I was resource and I went into a room of a patient I have been taking care of a lot lately. Lung cancer, stuck in between bipap and intubation....DNR turned full code because the patient's wife... also an ICU nurse... was diagnosed with breast cancer.

He wants to be there for her... so he made himself a full code in order to support her with her chemotherapy. They are both in different hospitals but they talk everyday.

I saw him yesterday and I say, "Hello my friend, good to see you! You look better today."

His response made my day.
"I am so glad to see you.... no really I am so glad you are here tonight... 
You are the best nurse I've had." and he reaches out to grasp my hand as he struggles for air.

I looked at his eyes...so genuine and so very tired... and I almost cried.
This is what nursing is all about.


4 comments :

  1. Wow ........ You see? This is the antidote for burn out, my friend........

    Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is what you're doing it for. Those people. It's easy to forget with the feuding doctors and the crappy patients and the nurse drama. Always remember - you made a difference for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmygosh i love pts like that.... that is what its all about! it is the small things in life, my friend.:)

    ReplyDelete