Monday, April 26, 2010

A typical night in the ICU

"Miss? Are you there?"

"Yes sir, how can I help you?"

"Do I have something on my feet?"

"Umm, well you have the blankets on your feet. Why? Would you like me to get you some socks?"

"No, I need you to take my shoes off. I keep telling everyone, I don't want any shoes on!"

"Sir, you have no shoes on. You don't need shoes while you are in the hospital."
I hesitate.

"Sir, Do you know where you are?"

"So I don't have any shoes on?"

"No, my dear. You don't have any shoes on. In fact there aren't any shoes in the room except the ones I'm wearing" I pat him on the shoulder and begin covering his feet up with the blankets. "Sir, do you know where you are?"

*long pause*
He had fallen back asleep so I turned and headed away from the room.

"Miss, can you make sure no one puts my shoes on? I just don't want any shoes on."

"Of course, I'll be here all night and I promise no one will put your shoes on."

"Thank you dear," as he trails off and falls back asleep.

No comments :

Post a Comment