Sunday, June 16, 2013

Gluten Free Peach Cobbler Recipe


Over the past two years I have noticed a decline in my lung capacity. My running just hasn't been the same since I had a bout with chronic bronchitis back in late 2011. Despite the many rounds of antibiotics, steroids inhaled and in pill form... nothing has seemed to work and till this day I still have this obnoxious wheeze at the end of my cough. I am slower than ever and my inhaler is my best friend whenever allergy season is here. 

All that to say... my doctor recently told me to go gluten-free thinking maybe it was a gluten or a wheat allergy that was the culprit of my debilitated lungs. I have now been gluten free for a few months and I'm not sure if I'm truly noticing a difference. However, Chris does indeed have a gluten allergy... I have yet to be tested. So, we might as well go down the rabbit hole together and thus the new gluten-free kick.

This week I was really craving a cobbler of some sorts... and lets be honest... who doesn't love a good cobbler? Well, since I came across the most wonderfully ripe and brightly colored peaches I couldn't help myself but to buy up 3 pounds worth in hopes of making a gluten free recipe work. I looked up a few gluten-free cobbler recipes and decided I didn't like any of those... so I made my own.


You could also probably very easily make this recipe work with regular flour if you didn't want to make it gluten free. I used sorghum flour because it is on the sweet side and works well with desserts. 

Gluten Free Peach Cobbler

6 ripe yellow or white peaches ( I used a mixture of both)
1/3 cup sorghum flour (could also substitute with all purpose gluten free flour or regular flour)
1/3 cup gluten free oats 
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/3 cup butter 
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Slice up the peaches in relatively thin slices and line the bottom of your Pyrex or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the white sugar onto the peaches along with the vanilla and almond extract. 

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl except 1 tablespoon of the white sugar that is already on the peaches. Cut small tabs of the butter into the dry ingredients and mix together with a fork .
You want it to get crumbly in the bowl so it has that cobbler consistency when you layer it on top of the peaches. 

I cooked the cobbler with the lid of my dish on top. It kept the flour moist but it also made the cobbler pretty runny. If you left it uncovered it might be better but you just have to be careful because many gluten free flours brown very easily. 

Let the dish cook at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. Check periodically to make sure the top is not burning. 

When you see the juice from the peaches bubbling up, you know it is done. Serve with a side of your favorite vanilla ice cream and voila! Beautiful gluten-free cobbler for dessert. 

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment