Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The 17 mile drive

Recently, Chris and I went south to Monterey Bay, CA for our one year wedding anniversary and it was an amazing weekend. I would have to say that despite growing up just 2 hours away from this area and having been to Monterey downtown a number of times... I had never actually driven the famous 17 mile drive. 
 The entire drive is absolutely breathtaking and the whole time it felt like we had been transported to Hawaii because the water was so incredibly gorgeous with bright teals and aqua blues.

Rocky shores with white sanded beaches... and sand dunes around the bay.
It was so wonderful to have a lazy weekend of eating, relaxing and spending time with my husband in the middle of one of the most incredible places. It made me very thankful for my life and everything I have been blessed with this past year.

Having that time to get away, even for just a night. To slow down and enjoy life a little was nice... and so rare for me these days. 

I have been making a conscious effort lately to be more thankful... which I will write more about another day. It has been slowly changing me from the inside out and I am realizing that it takes a conscious effort... like eating right or exercising. I have to choose to be thankful every day... even when it seems like all hope is lost.
Even when I am exhausted and at the end of my rope... I have to choose to be thankful.
Sometimes when it gets a little hard to smile, I pull out these pictures and imagine what it would be like to have a little beach cottage on the edge of this coast.
A big porch and a large kitchen that looks out over the ocean views.

I can't help but smile then and suddenly I recognize the gift that I can even have that dream.

What makes you thankful friends?

2 comments :

  1. I hope that it will stay that way. No development or industrialization there. Keep it as serene as it is. It's a natures gift. How lucky for us to have that kind of scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ms. Andrea Heggem,

    It is great to find a nurse that has a life beyond the walls of the hospital/medical facility that she works in! You are a natural writer and your blogs here are truly inspirational. I'm sure, our student nurse readers at Nursing Explorer (http://www.nursingexplorer.com) would find joy in reading your experiences here.

    Kudos to you and I'm looking forward to reading more posts soon!

    ReplyDelete