Saturday, March 31, 2012

Costa Rica: Lesson Learned

I guess I should have known... that traveling out of the country with four girls in a time frame that is less than a week is probably not the best idea in the world. I have been all over the world and that includes going to places that are not easily traveled too... Africa, Lebanon, Thailand. A good amount of the traveling I have done has been by myself. And while I can say that my recent fear of flying might have something to do with this particular traveling experience... it definitely wasn't the only factor.

All that to say that while there where some good times during my recent Costa Rica trip... I can safely say that it was the worst traveling experience of my entire life. And let me tell you I have had some bad ones.
In fact as I am typing this I can feel my blood pressure starting to rise... so rather than go into detail about our failed attempt at a girls week away I will just say that it included the whole lot of it..... severe food poisoning, a 5 hour long drive through 3rd world roads to get to our lodging, flight delays, missed flights, panic attacks, turbulence and ungodly amounts of money spent to get home a day early so we could get our sick friend home.... when we actually just ended up getting stranded in El Salvador for the night and ended up home the same time we would have in the first place.
 It. was. horrible.
BUT! I will say that there were some wonderful parts about the trip and so I 'd like to at least show the photos of the good parts and just pretend like the bad ones didn't happen. (I'm trying to be the glass half full kinda girl here... not my strong suit I will admit)
Swim up bar! They had great pina coladas :)
View from breakfast every morning and
the lovely ladies I traveled with <3
Gorgeous sunsets pretty much every night.

Feeding wild monkeys was definitely the best part :) They were so cute and so friendly.

 Parts of Costa Rica were really gorgeous.
Yummy food!



We got to travel to a small pottery town called guatil and we saw them make the amazing pottery right in front of us. It was a very very poor town but the people were so incredibly sweet. That is Carlos giving me the thumbs up in the picture above :)
 Pottery making has been this towns heritage for hundreds of years.
We also fed wild crocodiles on our boat river tour.

Over all it was an interesting experience but I can definitely say I'm glad to be home.
 

1 comment :

  1. I'm so sorry your trip went badly. My wife has been a nurse for about 30 years, most of it in L&D, but she has also worked in ICU, CCU, ER, and, when she was at a 110 hospital, she was regularly the only RN in the building at nights. She's ready to let it go and retire, but that's a couple of years away.

    ReplyDelete