Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sometimes you just have to listen...

I was afraid of this... the day I would decide that I just could not run anymore. On Sunday I was supposed to run a half marathon race about 30 minutes from my house. I woke up at 5:30am.... complained about waking up at 5:30am.... called myself crazy and proceeded to get dressed...
drove all the way to the race... missed the exit... took a 10 minute detour half way to the summit of the Santa Cruz Mountains.... not fun.... especially when you woke up at 5:30am and have not eaten or had coffee yet.... still, I get to the race... miraculously find a parking space.... then realize I forgot my trail water bottle that I always run with... and my GU gels... I officially have to run 13 miles on an empty stomach... with no water bottle.... and apparently no music since I ALSO left my headphones at home.

I sat in my car for about 5 minutes... mulling over the frustration I was feeling.... hoping it would pass... all the while staring at the start line arch behind me.... I then look to my left and the man I had parked next to was angrily moving his car because I had apparently parked too close to him (there was at least a foot and a half from my door to his)... as was portrayed by his very angry wife who was sternly staring at me in my rear view mirror... arms crossed... glare and all. 

At that point all I could think was.... nope... not today.

This is not why I run. I don't like this feeling... and if I do this race I think I will hate running in a way that I never have.

So... I went home, grabbed my headphones.... stopped at Starbucks for an egg white, spinach wrap and my favorite latte.... worth every penny... seriously joy in a cup I tell you. 

And then I drove to my sacred place. The place where I first fell in love with running. I went back to my roots.... back to basics. Because I am a trail runner at heart and that is just where I needed to be... the hills... the trees.... the water.... it beckoned and called to me.... and I answered. 

And you know what?

It was the best 5 mile run I've had in a really, really long time.

1 comment :